Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

Today is the first day of 2009. This is a day when we all tend to make those so-called "new year's resolutions" which most of us get bored with long before we make a habit of that which we resolved. I'm certain that many of mine will go the way of the Dodo soon enough. Including a resolution to keep up better with this blog than I did last year; we'll see how long that lasts. But there are a couple of resolutions that I think will benefit us all.

First is a resolution to read something from the Scriptures daily. On the right side of this page, you'll find two different colored sidebars. The top one with a maroon background is a little background on the blog, my preferred bible (the English Standard Version, ESV), and a little something on me. Below that is a white sidebar that contains useful links for helping us get into God's word. The first section is the Bible Verse of the Day" powered by BibleGateway.com . Below that, there is a section which links to the ESV Bible Online for a daily reading. I'll try to keep this list up to date with some of the links to past readings in case you miss a day. For periods other than what is shown, I have provided a "click here" link which will take you to a new page showing each month of the year.

Finally, I have found several on-line e-subscriptions that you may find enjoyable. There are many of these services available on the internet, some I subscribe to and others I don't. They come in a variety of formats – devotional, daily scripture readings, interesting quotations, etc. Some will make you stop and think. Others will cause you to remember the good things God has done for you. Still others will teach you something of the Word. I'll try to keep a list of these services current in the sidebar as well under a heading of "e-Devotionals" for lack of a better description. If you have others that you find useful, please comment to this post and leave a link.

I leave you now with the words of Aaron the priest:

The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)

No comments: